Transformer Relay Protection Program
This training track deals with relay protection applied at your transformer – a very critical and expensive asset. The program is geared to provide you the following:
- Overall concept of transformer protection
- Relay application
- Relay Settings
- Diagnosing misoperations of protective relays on your system
Relay protection for transformers has always been a challenge. With the introduction of microprocessor relays engineers have new tools to combat the challenges. However, application of transformer protection using microprocessor relays requires sound knowledge of transformer protection theory and a good understanding of features available in the microprocessor relays. This program addresses the entire spectrum—relay application, settings, testing, and diagnosing relay misoperations.
You will take away a sound understanding of all related protective elements such as differential, volts/hertz, through fault, etc. Methods of testing these elements, settings criterion, diagnosing misoperations will all be in your bag of tools to perform your job with confidence.
- 20+ hours of transformer relay protection concepts, application, settings, testing and diagnosing misoperations
- Presentations by industry experts
- Testing Methods using Doble’s hardware and Doble’s Protection Suite software
- Earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) that meet IACET standards
- Earn NETA CTDs
- Slippery Slopes—Journey through Differential Protection
- All you wanted to know about Sudden pressure relays—Concept, Construction, Application and Testing
- All you wanted to know about Bucholz relays—Concept, Construction, Application and Testing
- Integration of Protection Data and Transformer Gas Analysis for Full Asset Monitoring
- Digital Transformers — the Building Block of Smart Grid
- Concepts and enhancements of transformer protection
- Differential Protection including sensitive negative sequence element for turn to turn faults
- Testing and Troubleshooting tools used with transformer protection relay
- Software tools to verify transformer relay performance for commissioning and field events
- Demonstration of Testing GE T60 Transformer Relay
- All Elements of Transformer Protection
- Demonstration of Testing Transformer Protection Relay SEL 487E
- Transformer Withstand Capability and Protection during External Faults
- Modelling withstand and protection of transformers under through fault conditions—Software demonstration
- Demonstration of Testing Beckwith Transformer Protection Relay
Note: Date, time and topics are subject to changes
Who Should Attend
This program is geared towards Protection Engineers, Technicians, Substation Engineers, Supervisors, Managers and Insurance Companies.
Ed Khan, Director of Protection Training, Doble Engineering Company
Ed Khan has been with Doble for 10 years working in various capacities including Product Manager for protection tested related instruments. Currently, he is the Director of Protection R&D and Training at Doble. Prior to Doble, Mr. Khan has worked for GE, ABB, SEL, KEMA and others in various capacities. He has 36 years of experience in system studies, protection applications, relay design, power plant design, teaching and product management. He has a thorough knowledge about product development, protection, harmonic analysis, harmonic filter design, stability studies, real time digital simulations, generator protection and more. He has presented courses on behalf of GE and Doble in US, Southeast Asia, Middle East, Mexico, India and China. He also taught GE Protection course on few occasions.
Mr. Khan is a member of CIGRE and is currently a member of the CIGRE Working Group B5.56 (Optimization of Protection, Automation and Controls). He has written and presented papers and articles on protection and testing related topics.